Pages

Monday, October 26, 2009

The day I 'officially' turned OLD...

My twelve year old Son's favorite show is 'Everybody Hates Chris', which runs on Comedy Central over here in Italy.  It's a cool show.   The problem is,  I have to explain everything, and by that, I mean pop culture, to my Son.  "Why did he say this?  What's up with that?"  (It could be worse for me, at least he understands english).

 My Son likes to think of himself as bona-fide 'American Lost In Italy'  (My ten year old Daughter, on the other hand, is an 'Italian Who Was Born In California'.  Night and day, folks). 

So, I'm explaining pop culture to my Son every five minutes or so, in between bites of crackers.

On the show, there was a skit involving Chris as Abraham Lincoln and the night that he was shot.  "Do you know who he is pretending to be Son?" I asked.

"yeah, that's Abraham Lincoln!" he answered.  Then comes the innocent words that made me choke on my crackers...

"How old were you when Lincoln was shot, mama?"

"Just how old do you think I am!?" I cried between cracker crumbs. 

My Son swore up and down that Lincoln was president right before Bush Jr, which he had (mis)heard during English class at school.  He crossed his heart and everything, saying that I couldn't be right. Yeah, what did I know?  ("Look at the beard, Son, look at the beard!  You ever see anybody with a beard like that lately?")  According to him, I don't know diddly-squat about the country of my birth, the order of it's presidents, the rich history, beards, or pretty much anything else important.

It's official.  I'm Old.

When did you 'officially' turn Old?

7 comments:

Jen said...

I don't wanna grow up,I'm a Toys 'R' Us kid...

We had to develop rolls of film, too, and kept the photos in a shoebox. I'm still refusing to grow old, though...

inadvertent farmer said...

Well...I gave birth to my last son when my oldest was 21. I had given birth to my oldest at 21...when I realized he was as old as I was when I birthed him, and was still giving birth... I aged like a gazillion years in an instant. Kim

sugoandsunshine said...

I gave birth to my first son when I was 21 too! my daughter came along 16 months later. Then I quit! Respect!
Looking forward to checking out your blog.

Reality Jayne said...

I have lived overseas myself, and it is a whole different world...I live in Indiana..found your blog intriguing....I shall return...the Queen of Crafts and such

Taking Heart said...

I absolutely ADORE your blog, thinking about marking it on my sidebar as a favorite...
I also referred another nurse friend of mine, and I think she may be stopping by if she hasn't already... thinks she's the Queen... lol. You'd probably enjoy her snarky and fun blog as well.

Your story is so easy to read and I almost want to show it to my eleven year old who is studying maps and history and social studies... He's eleven and loves everything about world studies. His father is presently stationed in Iraq.

Hope you have a lovely week... how couldn't you with the views you get to see... Indiana views are usually corn and beans... though right now the fall colors are splendid!

sugoandsunshine said...

Corn!! (smacks her lips) Are you trying to torture me?? lol I miss corn!

Jen said...

Thanks for stopping by...I love this post, and your blog. What a fun life! I know my kids think I am old too, ugh. I am not sure when that happened. :) I remember thinking (when I was about 10), that at 26 your life was over, that seemed so old to me. Wow...how crazy that was. I am far beyond 26, and my life is not over.